One of the questions that I get asked the most is, “What do you recommend for keeping my kids entertained during those long food allergy appointments?”
I always walk into our allergy appointments with an overnight bag filled to the brim with things for my little men to do. I can only imagine with our doctor and his nurses must think. They probably wonder if I’m expecting the appointment to go south putting us in the ER for an extended length of time. Of course I know this is always a possibility if we are doing a food challenge, but a slight one at that. But that’s not the reason for my overnight bag. It really is just filled with activities to keep my little men entertained, my doctor and his staff less annoyed with the rowdiness of two boys in one room, and myself – sane.
Here are some of the things that you’ll find in my bag:
- Portable DVD Player with a handful of DVDs
- Card Game (Go Fish, Old Maid, Uno, etc.)
- Portable Tablet or iPad with games (I also try to download some new games that they’ve never played before.)
- Old iPhones with games (We keep our old iPhones and fill them with games for the kids.)
- Coloring Books, Crayons, Stickers (I love the prepackaged coloring kits that you can find in the $1 bin at Target and Michaels.)
- Matchbox Cars
- Baby Wipes (for the times my little men accidentally color on the wall…OOPS!)
What are some things that you take with you to the allergist’s office?
What would you add to this list?
How about to entertain girls?