Today, we’re inviting you to join us on our adoption journey and help bring Baby Girl Kossack home! But first, a word about how we came to this point…
We discussed adoption on our first date 13 years ago, but coming to peace with stepping out in faith and going through the adoption process didn’t happen overnight for us. There were several bumps in the road of our adoption journey. One barrier that took a long time to work through was infertility, which you can read more about here.
Another barrier — particularly for Andrew, who proudly ascribes to the penny-pinching ways of his former boss, Gov. Mitch “The Blade” Daniels — was the financial cost of adoption, which is significant, regardless of whether the adoption is domestic or foreign. Surprisingly, the total cost of our China adoption through CCAI will actually be less than many of the domestic adoption options we considered, even when travel costs to/from China are taken into account. Still, the total cost of a China adoption from the initial application to the point of getting our daughter home will easily exceed $30,000. We’re incredibly thankful for how God has provided for our family over the years, but we’d be lying if we told you we had that amount of money to spare (without selling a few vital organs!).
So for us, adoption required a step (maybe more like a leap!) of faith. Through savings, we are able to commit about $15,000 of the $30,000 or so cost. That leaves $15,000 we’re praying for God to provide. Somehow. It’s a huge amount of money, and trying to imagine how to close that gap is daunting, to say the least. We’re cutting costs wherever we can — eating out less, eliminating or reducing fixed costs whenever possible, etc. — but we still have a long way to go before the adoption is fully funded.
Thankfully, God’s resources are unlimited, so He’s not intimidated by numbers that might scare us. His word assures us that He will make a way for us if we are bold enough to trust Him:
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways submit to him,
and he will make your paths straight.
(Proverbs 3:5-6.) In many ways, God has already shown himself faithful in this way by bringing into our lives so many people who have encouraged us and helped us on our adoption journey. It is awe-inspiring to be supported by so many of our friends, co-workers, and even complete strangers. Our daughter isn’t even home yet, but the adoption experience has already been a blessing in so many ways.
Admitting to any kind of need for help is humbling. For us, asking for any help is certainly outside of our comfort zone; we always prefer to be the helpers rather than the helpees! We’d prefer to simply write a check for the total cost of our adoption and be done with it. And then we’d love to find more of our own money to give to others who are going through the process rather than asking others to share their resources with us.
But one of the many things we’ve learned through the adoption process is this: God created us to live in community with each other, and he blesses us so that we, in turn, can bless other people. And as our families, friends, neighbors, and others in our community offer to come alongside us and support us on this adoption journey, we deprive them of that blessing of community if we refuse to accept that support just because of our own stubborn pride. So part of coming to peace with adoption was coming to peace with accepting help from those who offer it, and, if needed, asking for more help along the way.
So, today, we’re asking for your help. Today is the day we kick off our fundraising to bring home Baby Girl Kossack, and we’re inviting you to be a part of it! We don’t expect everyone to be able to (or want to) participate in every fundraiser, so we wanted to give you many options for ways for you to be involved if you want.
- Prayer – First and foremost, we would covet your prayers for our family as we walk through this adoption journey. Prayers for our little men as they welcome home their little sister. Prayers for our daughter as she waits for us to come and get her. Prayers for her safety, health, and her little heart because she will lose all that she’s ever known to join our family. That is a loss that most of us cannot even begin to comprehend. Prayers for patience as we wait on God’s perfect timing in every aspect of this journey.
- T-Shirts – Over the past 4 months, we’ve been working hard to carefully create and design (with the help of Fund The Nations) three different t-shirts. Each of our t-shirts has a unique story behind it related to our adoption and we are so excited to finally unveil them! These shirts are printed on one of my favorite t-shirt brands (Bella Canvas) and they are SUPER soft! We are offering each shirt in two different unisex styles – a basic crew neck tee and baseball tee. These shirts will only be available for purchase until August 31, 2016. So hurry and snag yours before it’s too late! Please note, these shirts are being pre-sold (just like Girl Scout Cookies, but not as tasty). I’ll place the final order on September 1, 2016 and will ship them out 10-14 days later. You can see more of our t-shirt designs below. Click here to place your t-shirt order!
- Just Love Coffee – Just Love Coffee Roasters was founded with a mission to help those who are looking to make the world a better place. They are incredibly supportive of adoptive families (since the founder has two adopted kids of his own) and want to help lessen the financial burden so more orphans can find their forever homes. Check out our Just Love Coffee profile and purchase some delicious coffee. All proceeds go toward our adoption costs. You’re helping bring Baby Girl Kossack home, one cup of coffee at a time!! Click here to purchase coffee.
- YouCaring – We recognize that not everyone wants to purchase a t-shirt or bag of coffee, so we created a YouCaring page where you can donate directly into our adoption account. Whether the donation amount is $5 or $500, we are so incredibly grateful for every donation. Every dollar raised brings us just one step closer to bringing home our little girl. I’ll also be updating the YouCaring page with our fundraiser totals as they role in. Click here to donate.
- Amazon Affilate Link – If you are like me, you shop via Amazon for almost everything!! I order Enjoy Life chocolate chips, books, DVDs, humidifier filters, socks, etc. Like I said, practically everything! Well, thanks to their affiliate program, you can shop for anything and everything just by clicking on my link and Amazon will donate a portion of your purchase to our adoption fund. You don’t pay an extra cent for anything. Just conduct your shopping as you normally would, but before you do, click on our Amazon link and that’s it! Happy Shopping and Thank you!!
- Instagram Auction – Some dear friends of mine are organizing an InstaAuction on our behalf. The auction will take place from September 27 – 29. If you are a shop owner or have something you would like to donate to our auction, please email me at email@example.com. More info to come later.
- Adoption Sip N’ Shop – Lastly, for those who live in the Indy area, we are hosting a fun event on Saturday, November 5th from 10am – 1pm. We will have representatives from Stella & Dot, KEEP Collective, Plunder Design, Usborne Books, and several others who have all offered to donate a portion of their sales to our adoption fund. They will have tables set up where you can come, enjoy some food, and do some early Christmas shopping. If you live in Indy and wish to have a table at this event, please let me know (firstname.lastname@example.org). More info to come later.
More of our fabulous t-shirt designs!! Special shout out to my sweet friend Andrea with BNB Photography for taking all of our t-shirt pictures (and being one of my beautiful models), Crystal for hand-lettering our Proverbs 31 tee, and Ashley for being a gorgeous model!
Thank you so much for the tremendous support you have already given us! We are so blessed by your prayers, words of encouragement, and willingness to come alongside us in this adoption journey. We can’t wait to see how it all unfolds, and can’t thank you enough for doing so much to help get Baby Girl Kossack home soon!
The Kossack Family