Welcome back to our “Food Allergies in the News” weekly roundup.
Each Sunday, I’m going to gather up what I believe are the most interesting food allergy articles from the week prior and bring them to you in one post. It’s just like getting your Sunday paper! This way you can be up-to-date on all of the food allergy happenings, too!
So here is the roundup for June 22, 2014:
- On ChicagoNow.com, “Got Food Allergies? How To Trim Your Grocery Bill.” Buying food for those with food allergies can be incredibly expensive. Here is a good article featuring some tips on how to save money. What tips would you add to this article?
- On Reuters.com, “For Parents Of Children With Food Allergies, Dietary Counseling Can Help.” Following your child’s diagnosis, did you follow up with a dietician? We haven’t but we’ve often thought about it. We have a medical nutritionist coming to speak at our next food allergy support group meeting. I’m anxious to learn from her. How about you?
- On FoxNews.com, “The Condition That Nearly Took Adrian Peterson Out Of The Game.” It’s so encouraging to hear from celebrities about how they live with life-threatening food allergies. Plus, it’s so great to have someone like Adrian Peterson sharing about his experience as he is such a wonderful role model for all boys with life-threatening food allergies. This article is also a great reminder that you can develop life-threatening food allergies at any time.
- On Today.com, “After Daughter’s Death, Parents Vow To Prevent Food Allergy Fatalities.” Natalie Giorgi’s death rocked the food allergy community to its core. Natalie’s parents have started the Natalie Giorgi Sunshine Foundation in her honor and are working with FARE to raise awareness and money.
- On Health.USNews.com, “Keeping Your Kids Healthy At Summer Camp.” Will you be sending your child to summer camp? This article gives some great tips for kids with special needs like food allergies.
- On HeraldSun.com.au, “New Warning About Food-Based Beauty Projects After Allergic Reaction From Moisturiser.” This is a frightening article to read. I posted one last week that briefly talked about the idea that perhaps the lotions that we use on broken skin (eczema) could be sensitizing our bodies to particular allergens. This article shares about a reaction that Anne-Maree Arthur had after consuming goat’s cheese. What do you think? Have you checked the ingredients of your child’s lotions?
- On BCTV.org, “Rozzi Supports Measure To Cover Alternate Formulas For Children With Food Related Allergies.” Rep. Mark Rozzi is supporting legislation that would require insurance to cover the cost of formula for children with severe food allergies or other medical conditions. This is coming a bit too late for me – but it would help other families. The special formula that my youngest was on for about 1-year was incredibly expensive. Thoughts?
- On DigitalJournal.com, “Ian’s Introduces ‘Culinary Creations’ Line.” We love Ian’s Foods. My youngest loves their French Loaf Pizza, Chicken Nuggets, French Fries and so much more. Ian’s is known for creating allergy-friendly and gluten-free foods. They are getting ready to introduce a new line of foods called, “Culinary Creations.” I can’t wait to get my hands on these new products. Which product are you most looking forward to trying?
I hope you enjoyed reading these articles. What was your favorite? What did you see in the news that I missed?