Welcome back to our “Food Allergies in the News” weekly roundup.
Each Sunday, I’m going to gather up what I believe are the most interesting food allergy articles from the week prior and bring them to you in one post. It’s just like getting your Sunday paper! This way you can be up-to-date on all of the food allergy happenings, too!
So here is the roundup for June 7th, 2015:
- On StrokeSentinel.co.uk, “Mum to Skydive For Daughter With Allergies.” I love reading stories about people who go up and beyond to raise awareness for food allergies. What do you think about Becky’s decision to skydive to raise awareness? Would you do that? What’s the craziest thing that you’ve done to raise awareness??
- On Governing.com, “Are Schools Overregulating What Students Eat?” Did you see the tweet that sent the internet into a frenzy? What do you think about the permission slip? Too far? As a food allergy mom, I can see both sides. Thoughts?
- ON PRNewsWire.com, “The Next Generation Of Take-Out Containers To Hit The Market…Making Take-Out A Safer, Healthier, And More Efficient Experience.” The new take-out containers sound fabulous! However, it won’t change my cross-contamination fears because those begin in the kitchen. What do you think about the new design?
- On UK.Finance.Yahoo.com, “Dr. Praeger’s Sensible Foods Issues Allergy Alert For Gluten-Free California Veggie Burger Due To Undeclared Soy.” As the title states, Dr. Praeger’s Sensible Foods is recalling 950 retail cases of their Gluten-Free California Veggie Burger because of undeclared soy. Be sure to read the article and check your freezer.
- On Examiner.co.uk, “Huddersfield University Student Daniel Kelly Tackles Allergy Issues.” I love what Daniel has created to help raise food allergy awareness. Statistics say that those at the greatest risk for anaphylaxis are between the ages of 15-25 because they are willing to take more risks and they don’t always carry their epinephrine auto-injectors. So grateful for food allergy sufferers, like Daniel, who try to raise awareness and reach this generation. We need more people like Daniel to help by sharing their stories.
- On AgeOfAutism.com, “The Baby Food Is Organic…The Shots Are Not.” I really appreciated this article. As a food allergy mom, I read every label – everything from food, to shampoo, to sunscreen, to even scrubber brushes. I buy organic, non-GMO foods when our budget allows and am grateful for organic options. But why don’t we have the same option for our children’s vaccines? I may not agree with everything in this article, but I do think it’s important to ask the tough questions.What do you think?
- On Phys.org, “Confusion About Allergies Is Putting People At Risk, Say Experts And Medical Charities.” This was the big article that hit my news feed this week. It’s brought about lots of comments from the food allergy community – more so from food allergy parents. What do you think about the article? Do you agree or disagree?
- On TheGuardian.com, “Are We Really Wrong To Blame Processed Food For The Rise In Allergies?” Here is a follow-up from one writer to the previous article. I love the perspective that she shares. Do you agree with Joanna?
I hope you enjoyed reading these articles. What was your favorite? What did you see in the news that I missed?